- Social Sentinel’s Data Scientist is responsible for all aspects of our data science, language library (Sentinel Search℠ Library), and algorithms. This position reports to the Chief Technology/Product Officer (“CTO”).
- The Data Scientist will be deeply committed to our mission: At Social Sentinel we believe that every student deserves a safe and secure classroom and that every teacher deserves a safe space for teaching. We believe that every guest, attendee, player, or performer at an event, concert, theme park or sporting event deserves a safe place to enjoy the event, show, park or game. We offer public safety leaders a powerful tool that helps them ensure the safety and security of their community through a deep understanding of the language and behaviors of harm shared on public social media.
- The language of safety and security on social media is very different from that of marketing engagement. Our Sentinel Search Library and our patent-pending machine learning algorithms map the language of harm to the social graph. Articulated to meet the needs of the average safety and security team, our platform productizes decades of domain expertise in the ever-changing behaviors / vernacular that predict harm to people, places and things.
- The Data Scientist will dive deep into our algorithms and then establish, develop, and implement tools, processes and procedures for optimizing the algorithms and libraries we use to deliver threat alerts and situational awareness from a broad ranging (and growing) set of data streams. The successful candidate will work with existing and to be developed feedback loops to teach our engines to continuously improve results and reduce false positive.
- The Data Scientist will evaluate alternate models to our current methods. The successful candidate will analyze processes and systems to extract insights from all our data to improve our service.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of Social Sentinel’s data science, including:
- Managing analytics database
- Managing subject matter experts to improve the Sentinel Search Library
- Implementing processes that improve and lead to greater data quality
- Conducting statistical analyses to develop strategies to improve our service
- Documenting all processes and research
- Building new algorithms and model training for the methods of our Sentinel Search Library / Algorithms, as well as the algorithms we use to associate Language with our clients
- Identifying data patterns and trends to develop predictive models
- Creating, managing, and maintaining analytically rigorous data
- Noting anomaly detection and running diagnostics
- Possessing a solid machine learning foundation
- Participating in software-focused marketing efforts
- Works closely with Product Management and Product Strategy to test the feasibility, from a data science standpoint, of new products and features, as determined based on requirements that are well understood and aligned.
- Participates as a member of the information technology senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately, and the company’s resources are used responsibly and effectively.
- Collaborates with the CTO and Executive Leadership to assess and recommend technologies and approaches that support company organizational needs.
- Collaborates with the CTO and Executive Leadership to identify and prioritize development initiatives that can create new products and services, better outcomes and improved customer satisfaction.
- Shares knowledge, mentors, and along with the CTO, educates the company’s investors, management, staff, partners, clients, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s data science / machine learning vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Expert in statistical modeling and machine learning
- Experienced with SQL Server
- Experienced in data analysis, predictive modeling, and machine learning techniques
- Able to effectively analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Goal-oriented and organized
- Encouraging to team and staff; able to mentor and lead
- PhD in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics or related field preferred
- Preference given to candidates with at least 5 years of professional experience
- Extensive experience in scalable n-tier development Java, PHP, Laraval and Python
- Keen business acumen / ability to translate academic problems to business results
- Complete fluency in English (native or bilingual proficiency) is required because the successful candidate must comprehend multiple nuances of posts made on social media platforms in the United States, with posts often made in English and utilizing continually evolving slang, abbreviations, and acronyms.
- Complete fluency in Spanish, in addition to complete fluency with the English language, will be given special consideration if all other qualifications are met.
Knowledge and Skills
- Self-starter able to draw upon internal and external resources to learn our existing data models and be able to access and massage that data.
- Ability to identify and implement improvements to algorithms based upon insights developed, and test those improvements in our testing (‘staging’) and production environments.
- Desire to become a domain expert that can evaluate results, define success and communicate with the Social Sentinel Leadership team, customers and prospects.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications – with an ability to communicate timelines and deliverables to stakeholders across the company.
- Demonstrated exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Forthright and a collaborative team player who has experience being a member of a high-performance management team.
- Ability to conduct effective two-way communication with management and development teams.
About Social Sentinel
Social Sentinel offers community, corporate and campus leaders a powerful new tool to help ensure the safety and security of their children and students, employees, campuses, communities, customers, guests, clients and visitors. Acting as a "social media smoke alarm," our solution (the Social Sentinel® service) alerts leaders to locally relevant public safety threats shared on social media. Working with the nation’s leading experts in campus safety, data science, social media linguistics and abnormal behaviors, we have designed patent-pending algorithms that protect free speech and association while mapping the language and behaviors of harm to the social graph.
We are proud of what we do and united with our clients to make a positive difference. By protecting individual rights to privacy and free speech, we believe our service represents a balanced, proactive approach to safety and security in the social media age. This approach is resonating in the market, and in the past year Social Sentinel grew its revenues 125% year over year. As of December 31, 2016 the company protected nearly 6 million individuals on campuses and in their communities across 23 states.
Qualified individuals should apply to: email@example.com
Social Sentinel, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer